Call to Order
Appointment: Arlington Housing Authority
Kevin F. Greeley, Chair, Board of Selectmen
John Griffin, Arlington Housing Authority
Present for Board of Selectmen: Mr. Dunn, Vice Chair, Mrs. Mahon, Mr. Byrne, and Mr. Curro
Present for Housing Authority: Mr. Murray, Chair, Mr. Mitropoulos, Mr. Talanian, Mr. Brosnan and John Griffin, Executive Director of Arlington Housing Authority.
Absent: Kevin Greeley, Chair, Board of Selectmen
Also present: Mr. Chapdelaine, Ms. Rice and Mrs. Krepelka 1. Call to Order Mr. Dunn called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
2. Roll Call The above listed Joint Committee members were present.
3. Statement of Purpose Mr. Dunn stated that the meeting purpose was to appoint an interim Commissioner due to the resignation of Teresa J. Walsh until the next Town Election in April 2013.
4. Discussion of Process Mr. Dunn took over as Chair and stated the following: The nominations were open.
Nominees must be registered voters.
Five members must vote (yes) to vote in a candidate. Nominations must be seconded.
5. Receipt of Communications Mr. Mitropoulos moved to receive nominations. Ms. Mahon seconded. All members agreed that the process was opened for nominations
6. Nomination and Selection Process Mr. Mitropoulos nominated Bridgett Garballey James. Mr. Curro seconded the nomination.
Mrs. Mahon moved to close nominations. Mr. Murray seconded the motion. Roll Call Vote:
Mr. Dunn - Yes
Mrs. Mahon – Yes
Mr. Byrne – Yes
Mr. Curro – Yes
Mr. Murray – Yes
Mr. Mitropoulos – Yes
Mr. Talanian – Yes
Mr. Brosnan - Yes SO VOTED (8-0)
The Board of Selectmen and the Arlington Housing Authority Appointing Authority thanked Bridgett for applying.
Mr. Murray and Mrs. Mahon thanked Ms. Walsh for her many years of service and are thrilled that Bridgett is replacing Ms. Walsh.
Ms. Garballey thanked both Boards for their kind words and looks forward to working with each and everyone of the members.
Mr. Curro moved to adjourn at 6:45 p.m. SO VOTED (4-0)
A true record: Attest
Marie A. Krepelka Board Administrator
REFERENCE LIST OF DOCUMENTS:
1. Letter from John J. Griffin Executive Director, Arlington Housing Authority
2. Letter from Bridgett Garballey James, 45 Maynard Street
Board of Selectmen Meeting Minutes Monday, November 26, 2012 7:15 p.m.
Present: Mr. Dunn, Vice Chair, Mrs. Mahon, Mr. Byrne and Mr. Curro
Absent: Mr. Greeley, Chair
Also Present: Mr. Chapdelaine, Ms. Rice and Mrs. Krepelka
2. CONSENT AGENDA (one vote required for approval of all items)
a. Minutes of Meetings: November 5, 2012
b. Appointment: New Election Workers Linda Blair, 19 Wyman Terrace, D, Pct. 6
c. Request: Free Parking 12/1, 12/8, 12/15 and 12/22 for Holiday Shopping The Board approved free parking at the Municipal Parking Lot and the Water Street Parking lot from Mystic Street to Mill Street. Request: Hanging of Banners Promoting Shop Arlington First Jennifer Tripp, Arlington Chamber of Commerce Ms. Tripp withdrew the Chamber’s request to hang banners promoting Shop Arlington First. She asked if they could erect “Sandwich Boards” 24” x 36” at the following intersections:
1. Island located at the intersection of Mass. Avenue and Pleasant Street – near the UU Church.
2. Arlington Heights, next to “Welcome to Arlington Heights” sign near Brigham’s.
3. On median strip at intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Alewife Brook Parkway (near Homewood Suites). Mrs. Mahon moved approval. SO VOTED (4-0)
3. National Grid Petition/Old Middlesex Path Dennis Regan (all abutters notified)
National Grid submitted petition to install and maintain approximately 163 feet, more or less of 6 inch gas main in Old Middlesex Path from the existing 6 inch gas main at Long- Meadow Road northerly to House #21 for a new gas service. Mr. Curro moved approval subject to all conditions as set forth. SO VOTED (4-0)
4. Verizon Petition/Mass. Ave. @ Arlington Center Ellen M. Joy (all abutters notified)
Verizon submitted petition to install 10’ of 4” conduit from existing conduit to manhole 30/134 and 5’ of conduit from existing conduit to the property line at 444-446 Massachusetts Avenue for FIOS service.
Mr. Curro moved approval subject to all condition as set forth. SO VOTED (4-0)
5. Appointment: Board of Health Kenneth Kohlberg (term to expire 1/31/2016)
The Board thanked Mr. Kohlberg for his willingness to serve. Mrs. Mahon moved approval. SO VOTED (4-0)
6. Appointments: Tree Committee
Brian M. Murray
Susan D. Stamps
(terms to expire 11/30/2015)
The Board thanked the appointees for their willingness to serve. Mr. Curro moved approval. SO VOTED (4-0)
LICENSES & PERMITS
7. Request: Hackney/Taxi Business Operator License Michael Antonellis d/b/a Veteran’s Taxi
Board voted to have Mr. Antonellis come back on Dec. 3rd to discuss change of name. SO VOTED (4-0)
8. Request: Common Victualler License, Napoli Kitchen (formerly I Chef) Walid Karaf, 1345 Massachusetts Avenue
Mrs. Mahon moved to table until the Board’s next meeting on December 3rd. SO VOTED (4-0)
9. Request: Common Victualler License, George’s Café & Grill George Manetas, 882B Massachusetts Avenue Mr. Manetas withdrew his application.
10. CITIZENS OPEN FORUM
Except in unusual circumstances, any matter presented for consideration of the Board shall neither be acted upon, nor a decision made the night of the presentation in accordance with the policy under which the Open Forum was established. It should be noted that there is a three minute time limit to present a concern or request.
No matters were presented for consideration of the Board.
TRAFFIC RULES & ORDERS/OTHER BUSINESS
11. GIS Update Adam Kurowski, GIS Coordinator Mr. Kurowski stated that Arlington will lead an effort to share GIS data among eastern Massachusetts communities. He stated that if many municipalities help pay for a single flyover to collect aerial data, rather than each paying for a separate flyover, and if they all contribute to the process rather than paying separately, better data will result and economies of scale will save each town 50 percent of what it now pays to collect and process the data. Those savings could be 75 percent if a Community Innovation Challenge grant is approved to fund the effort. The Board thanked Mr. Kurowski for all his work and energy in GIS technology. Mr. Kurowski stated town departments continue to learn about how they use GIS to coordinate with each other and do their own work more effectively and quickly.
12. For Approval: Community Innovation Challenge Grant, Aerial-Imagery Regionalization Project Adam Kurowski, GIS Coordinator/Adam W. Chapdelaine, Town Manager Mr. Curro moved approval of the following vote: SO VOTED (4-0) VOTED: The Board of Selectmen does hereby authorize the Town Manager, Adam W. Chapdelaine, to sign the application for a Community Innovation Challenge Grant to be filed with the Massachusetts Executive Office of Administration and Finance on behalf of the Massachusetts Orthoimagery Consortium, with the Town of Arlington acting as lead grant applicant and fiscal agent.
13. Discussion/Report: 2012 Changes to State Animal Control Laws Juliana Rice, Town Counsel Ms. Rice presented to the Board the changes relevant to Municipalities regarding Chapter 193, Acts of 2012, An Act Further Regulating Animal Control which took effect October 13, 2012. Ms. Rice stated that the state’s overhaul of the law came as a surprise and she will prepare a Bylaw to bring Arlington into compliance with the new rules. The Board asked Ms. Rice to post a draft version on the Website. Mr. Byrne moved approval. SO VOTED (4-0)
14. For Approval: Opening of Warrant 2013 The Selectmen voted to open the Warrant for the Annual Town Meeting. The Annual Town Meeting will take place on Monday, April 22, 2013 at 8:00 p.m. in the Arlington Town Hall. The Warrant will open Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at 8:00 a.m. and will remain open until 12:00/Noon on Friday, January 25, 2013. Mrs. Mahon moved approval. SO VOTED (4-0)
15. Vote: Special Town Meeting, April 24, 2013 Daniel J. Dunn, Vice Chair Mrs. Mahon moved approval. SO VOTED (4-0)
16. For Approval: Opening of Special Town Meeting Warrant, February 5, 2013 The Selectmen voted to open the Warrant for a Special Town Meeting. The Special Town Meeting will take place on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 8:00 p.m. in the Arlington Town Hall. The Warrant will open Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 8:00 a.m. and will remain open until 4:00 p.m. Mrs. Mahon moved approval. SO VOTED (4-0)
Jen Rothenberg Corner Committee: Proposal for Intersection of Be Rec’d Daniel Hartmann Fountain Rd., Hawthorne Ave. and Cedar Ave. Corner Committee Mr. Dunn commended the Corner Committee for rectifying a serious safety issue at the inter- section of Fountain Road, Hawthorne Avenue and Cedar Avenue.
Laura Larkin Traffic Concerns on Paul Revere Road Be Rec’d 70 Paul Revere Road Mr. Curro moved to refer to TAC. SO VOTED (4-0)
Mildred M. Regan Potential Traffic Problems on Russell Place Be Rec’d Board of Trustees Russell Place Condominium Mr. Byrne moved to refer to TAC. SO VOTED (4-0)
Stephen Harrington Sidewalk Repair @ 69 Columbia Road Be Rec’d 74 Columbia Road Mr. Dunn stated that said sidewalk repairs were done in front of 69 Columbia Road today.
Kenneth L. Kimmell Town Awarded Sustainable Materials Be Rec’d Commissioner Recovery Program Municipal Grant Mass DEP
Jeff Boudreau Signage, Minuteman Bikeway Hours Be Rec’d 99 Bow Street
Mr. Curro moved to refer to TAC. SO VOTED (4-0)
Mr. Curro moved receipt of correspondence received. SO VOTED (4-0)
Mr. Chapdelaine reported that Arlington Health and Human Services’ Hoarding Response Team was chosen to Showcase Achievement at the National League of Cities Conference. The program will be highlighted during this year’s Congress of Cities and Exposition, to be held in Boston, MA – November 28th – December 1st. Mr. Chapdelaine stated that it is an honor for the Hoarding Response Team to have been chosen to showcase the important work done here in Arlington. The Board congratulated Christine Connolly and James Feeney for all their work.
Mr. Curro stated that he would be interviewing the candidates for the Tourism /Economic Development Committee in a few weeks. Mrs. Mahon moved that Mr. Curro be designated as Chair of the interviewing committee. SO VOTED (4-0)
Mrs. Mahon stated that she will be having a Leaf Blower Committee Meeting on Wednesday, November 28, 2012, at 7:00 p.m. in the Selectmen Chambers.
Mr. Dunn reported that the mural project will be held on Sunday, December 9th at 2:00 p.m. at The Arlington Boys & Girls Club Mr. Dunn stated that Mr. Bonney called him as he was on the way to attending the Selectmen’s Meeting asking if he could have an extension to our November 26th deadline for 2012 Hackney Carriage License Renewals so that he can finish the inspection of his fleet. Mr. Carabello, Sealer of Weights and Measures, reported that he had inspected 8 cabs for Arlex Taxi Corp. and is in the process of inspecting the remaining 15 cabs. Mr. Curro stated that he feels Mr. Bonney has had ample time to complete all inspections and does not approve of an extension. SO VOTED (4-0)
Mrs. Mahon moved to adjourn at 8:40 p.m. SO VOTED (4-0)
A true record: Attest
Marie A. Krepelka Board Administrator
Next scheduled meeting of BoS December 3, 2012.
Agenda Item Documents Used
2 11/05/12 Draft Minutes
2(b) Appointment – New Election Workers
2(c) Request Free Parking 12/1,12/8,12/15 and 12/11 For Holiday Shopping Arlington Chamber of Commerce Municipal Parking Lot and Water Street Lot Request for Shop Arlington First Signs
3. National Grid Petition/Old Middlesex Path
4. Verizon Petition Mass. Ave. @ Arlington Center
5. Board of Health Appointment
6. Appointments: Tree Committee
7. Request: Hackney/Taxi Business Operator License
8. Request: Common Victualler License. Napoli Kitchen, 1345 Mass. Avenue
9 Approval: Community Innovation Challenge Grant, Aerial-Imagery Regionalization Project
10. Report: 2012 Changes to State Animal Control Laws
11. Approval: Opening of Warrant 2013
12. Vote: Special Town Meeting – April 24, 2013
13. Approval: Opening of Special Town Meeting Warrant – February 5, 2013
14. Laura Larkin – traffic concerns on Paul Revere Road
15. Mildred M. Regan – Potential Traffic Problems on Russell Place
16. Stephen Harrington – sidewalk repair at 69 Columbia Road
17. Kenneth L. Kimmell – Town Awarded Sustainable Materials Recovery Program Municipal Grant
18. Jeff Boudreau – Signage, Minuteman Bikeway Hours