Meeting Minutes

Meeting of the AHA - June 11, 2007

A meeting of the Arlington Housing Authority was held, which was open to the public, and was called to order by Chairman Richard B. Murray, on Monday, June 11, 2007, at 7:10 PM in the John F. Cusack Room, located at 4 Winslow Street, Arlington, MA. The Roll Call was taken and the following members of the Arlington Housing Authority were present:

Present: Richard Murray
Brian J. Connor
Nicholas Mitropoulos
Brian R. Greeley

Absent: Teresa J. Walsh

Also Present: Franklin W. Hurd, Jr. Executive Director

The Chairman announced that the filing of the Notice with the Town Clerk has been complied with and directed a copy of this Notice be spread upon the records, a copy of which is as follows:

Notice is hereby given in accordance with Section 23, Chapter 39 of the Massachusetts General Laws, that a meeting of the Arlington Housing Authority will be held on Monday, June 11, 2007 at 7:00 PM in the Town Hall, Arlington, MA.

CERTIFICATE AS TO SERVICE OF NOTICE OF MEETING
I, Franklin W. Hurd, Jr., the duly appointed Secretary of the Arlington Housing Authority, do hereby certify that on May 25, 2007 was e-mailed and filed with the Town Clerk of the Town of Arlington a copy of Notice of Meeting, of which the foregoing is a true and correct copy.

Secretary

673.

Communications
From: Sue Culhane, Tenant Services Coordinator
Re: Reduction in Hours
From: Brian F. Sullivan, town Manager, Town of Arlington
Re: Student Government Day, May 17, 2007
From: Ernest Ciavardone, Tenant, Drake Village
Re: Complianing against a neighbor


Upon a motion by Mr. Connor and seconded by Mr. Greeley it was unanimously:

VOTED: In favor to accept the Communications.

Appointments
Local Tenants Organizations & Project Updates

Mr. Hurd said that the Kitchen & Bath is moving well. Janet Doyle felt that she can handle the moves in-house and that the AHA doesn't need to hire a consultant to assist with the moves.

The emergency generators in the elevators of Chestnut Manor and the Hauser Buildings were tested and both were determined to require replacement at an estimated cost of $450,000.00. DHCD has approved funding for this work in addition to the elevator upgrades in process.

The tenants from Drake Village asked when this work will start. Mr. Hurd said that the testing was done, the work has been advertised, and a contractor will be selected aftter review of the bidders.

Public Participation
Ernest Ciavardone, a tenant from Drake Village, said that the tenant who lives above him is banging her chair every day. He believed that he is being harassed by this tenant.

Sue Culhane and Mr. Hurd had already met with this woman. They discussed certain issues with her. Mr. Hurd is working on this problem.

Graciella Correa also noted that the woman in question is very noisy.

It was left that if Mr. Ciavardone has any more problems with that tenant, he should call and notify Sue Culhane.

Graciela wanted to thank all of the Board and the AHA for its support of the"English as a Second Language Program". Jill McCarthy was very pleased that the AHA has this program at Drake Village. She wants to thank Mr. Hurd and Sue Culhane.

Verizon – FIOS Updates
John Greco had a discussion with Verizon. He is in the process of reviewing an internal memorandum from DHCD. They have to get by the Chapter 30B matter regarding the marketing agreement.

674.

Reports of Subcommittees

Condominium Purchase Report
The AHA has a purchase and sale agreement signed. This condo is in the flood plain zone. If there is brook erosion then you have to deal with the conservation committee. Mr. Greco has been trying to get in touch with the seller, but they won't discuss anything with him.

Executive Director Search
Mr. Connor's concern is to "cover all the bases". He would like to have a spreadsheet designed to analyze the candidates, all by the same criteria.

Mr. Hurd supplied a sample of an ad for the position of Executive Director for discussion. Mr. Greco provided a copy of the selection process that the Medford Housing Authority uses.

Mr. Greeley feels that the Board is very capable of hiring an Executive Director. He does not think that the AHA needs to hire an outside search firm. He feels that the Board is worrying too much about the process, and he thinks that there should be a search committee created to receive and review the applicants.

Mr. Hurd said that if the Board was going to perform the hiring "in-house", then it may want to review the ad he distributed to them, make any changes it felt necessary, and begin advertising next week.

Mr. Connor wanted to know what the time line is. Mr. Hurd sated that he would work with the new Executive Director on that mattter. He gave the Board a target date of October 26, 2007, but would be willing to stay longer if needed. He will assist in any way possible.

Generally, the Board planned to offer a candidate the position sometime around September 3, 2007, and hoped that the new Executive Director will start on or near October 1, 2007. After selecting the best candidate, there will be the need for a CORI check, physical and drug screening, reference checks, and employment contract terms.

The ad will run June 21, 2007 and the responses have to be back to the AHA by July 12, 2007.

The serach committee will be made up of two Board Members, Richard Conlon, John Greco and Frank Hurd.

Mr. Greco was asked about tenant participation and at what point do the tenants have the opportunity to participate. He informed the Board that residents don't have the right to vote. They have the right to ask questions and express an opinion. When it has been narrowed down to the final three or five candidates, then the AHA should have the residents participate. As each development has its own Local Tenant Organization (LTO) the authorized representative of the LTO will be designated as the person to ask questions.

Mr. Murray designated Mr. Mitropoulos and Mr. Connor as Board Representatives on the seach committee. If needed, Mr. Greeley will be the first alternte, and Mr. Murray will be the second.

675.

The ad will state that the applicant has to know the Massachusetts housing laws and regulations and policies. The ad should also state that the applicant have supervisor experience in housing management staff and maintenance staff. It was suggested that the ad should be put in the Bay State Banner.

Personnel – Tenant Services Coordinator
Mr. Hurd stated that Sue Culhane has requested to scale down her hours to three days per week. He recommended that Mary Maher be reassigned to the role of full time Tenant Services Coordinator and that Ms. Culhane be allowed to continue on a three day per week schedule to be mutually agreed to.

Charlene Leary will be moved to cover the front desk. Currently, Ms. Leary fills in when Ms. Maher is not in, and she should have ample time to do so as the authority is currently no longer accepting Chapter 200 applicatins due to the kitchen and bathroom project which will be ongoing for almost three years into the future.

Mr. Hurd will meet with Sue Culhane, Mary, and Sandy to discuss the transition and details of the move. He praised Sue Culhane for the excellent job that she has done and he said that he is pleased that she will continue to work for the Authority.

Mr. Mitropoulos said that Sue has done a great job.

Sue, who was present at the meeting, responded that she is looking forward to working with Mary.

Pet Waiver Request, Reasonable Accommodation
A tenant of 8 Memorial Way requested a waiver of the no pet policy as a reasonable accommodation to be allowed to have a dog. The request, supported by the doctor, was for a weimarener puppy.

Mr. Connor asked how many dogs are in Menotomy Manner? There are about 20.

Mr. Greeley wanted to know if it is allowed to vote on the size of the animal. Mr. Greco said yes.

Mr. Greeley supported the request and noted that currently pets are allowed in elderly developments.

Upon a motion by Mr. Connor and seconded by Mr. Greeley it was unanimously:

VOTED: To grant the pet waiver request as a reasonable accommodation.

Minutes
Upon a motion by Mr. Greeley and seconded by Mr. Connor it was unanimously:

VOTED: To approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting that was held on April 25, 2007.

676.

Upon a motion by Mr. Greeley and seconded by Mr. Connor it was unanimously:

VOTED: To approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting that was held on May 16, 2007.

New Business
Mr. Hurd said that the AHA's 60th Anniversary is in 2008. He suggested that the Board might want to think about doing something special to celebrate that achievement.

Mr. Greeley wanted to know when the Verizon matter will be resolved. It should be done by the end of the summer. Mr. Greeley also wants to start some summer programs at the Thompson School playground. Dan Brosnan, suggested looking into a day time program instead of a night time program for the summer.

Mr. Greeley met with a person from the WiFi Company and felt it could possibly offer a program that would benefit tenants with reduced costs with cable, computer. Mr. Greeley wanted to know if this company can make a presentation to the Board. He would like to see them come to one of our meetings.

New Business
Mr. Murray wanted to know who our first responder is if the press is looking for something. Mr. Greeley stated he is. He said that if he can't answer their questions then he would refer them to our lawyer.

Adjourn
Upon a motion by Mr. Connor and seconded by Mr. Greeley it was unanimously:

VOTED: To adjourn the meeting at 10:00 PM.

The next Board meeting is scheduled for July 19, 2007 at 7:00 PM at Drake Village.

____________________________________
Secretary