Meeting Minutes

Meeting of the AHA - May 16, 2007

A meeting of the Arlington Housing Authority was held, which was open to the public, and was called to order by Chairman Richard B. Murray, on Wednesday, May 16, 2007, at 7:03 PM in the John F. Cusack Room, located at 4 Winslow Street, Arlington, MA. The Roll Call was taken and the following members of the Arlington Housing Authority were present:

Present: Richard Murray
Brian J. Connor
Teresa J. Walsh
Brian R. Greeley
Nicholas Mitropoulos

Absent: None

Also Present: Franklin W. Hurd, Jr. Executive Director Attorney John Greco

The Chairman announced that the filing of the Notice with the Town Clerk has been complied with and directed a copy of this Notice be spread upon the records, a copy of which is as follows:

Notice is hereby given in accordance with Section 23, Chapter 39 of the Massachusetts General Laws, that a meeting of the Arlington Housing Authority will be held on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 7:00 PM in the Town Hall, Arlington, MA.

CERTIFICATE AS TO SERVICE OF NOTICE OF MEETING
I, Franklin W. Hurd, Jr., the duly appointed Secretary of the Arlington Housing Authority, do hereby certify that on March 16, 2007 was e-mailed and filed with the Town Clerk of the Town of Arlington a copy of Notice of Meeting, of which the foregoing is a true and correct copy.

Secretary

668.

Upon a motion by Mr. Greeley, and seconded by Mr. Connor, it was unanimously:

VOTED: To receive the following communications:

- From: Kevin O'Brien, Director of Planning, Town of Arlington
Re: CDBG Funding Available, $150,00.00

- From: Brian F. Sullivan, Town Manager, Town of Arlington
Re: Student Government Day, May 17, 2007

- From: Ernest Ciavardone, Tenant, Drake Village
Re: Complaint against a neighbor

Public Participation
Ms. Anna Azevedo of 110B Fremont St. attended the meeting. Ms. Azevedo had a complaint regarding her apartment being entered by Joseph Bastardi and Nemesio Braz, due to a blocked tub in the apartment next to hers.

The AHA Maintenance staff felt this was an emergency situation and entered her apartment to stop the dirty water and possible sewage from flooding both apartments.

Ms. Azevedo indicated to the Board that her lease specifies that a 48 hour notice should have been given to her before anyone entered into her apartment. She does not want anyone in her apartment when she is not home. She felt that the AHA office or maintenance department did not provide sufficient notice.

Maintenance staff members Joseph Bastardi and Nemesio Braz who worked on the problem spoke about their concerns regarding health issues in this situation and explained why they entered her apartment. They entered Ms. Azevedo's apartment to stick rags in her tub so that the dirty water and possible sewage would not spray all around her bathroom when they attempted to clear the blockage in the next door apartment with high pressure equipment.

Mr. Bastardi noted that while working in the bathroom, he accidentally knocked over and broke a toothpaste holder in Ms. Azevedo's apartment. He left her a note telling her that he was sorry and will gladly reimburse her for the cost of a new toothpaste holder.

Ms. Avzevedo said that she paid $14.99 for the bathroom set, and she will find a replacement. Mr. Bastardi stated he would pay for this item, but Mr. Hurd told him the AHA will pay for the replacement provided that Ms. Azevedo submits the receipt to the office. Ms. Azevedo accepted this offer.

Mr. Robert Cronin, Director of Maintenance, spoke about Ms. Azevedo's previous complaint with contractors and how he went into her apartment for approximately 3 minutes with Mr. Alfred Casazza and Joseph Drago, the AHA Housing Inspector. He said that no one during that visit used her bathroom.

Mr. Alred Casazza, Assistant Superintendent of Maintenance, spoke about how there has never been any problems with anyone in the 37 years he has worked for the AHA. He wanted to commend the men and said that they all take pride in their work.

Mr. Hurd stated that the next morning following the Board's April 25th meeting, he met with all maintenance employees to insure that they know how to properly respond to maintenance calls. In this case, the maintenance employees followed the new policy and did the right thing. Mr. Connor suggested that the AHA may seek to revise lease wording with a waiver to DHCD.

669.

The maintenance staff will not enter an apartment where there is only a minor child present.

Mr. Hurd stated the AHA will pay Joe Bastardi and Nemesio Braz for their time spent attending the meeting.

Mr. Greco asked what is considered an emergency situation? Should the person in the field have to determine what is an emergency, or can we notify the tenant before they go into their apartment? It is impossible for the AHA Maintenance Staff to do this. Mr. Greco suggested the AHA revise the wording in the lease to protect both parties involved, namely the tenants and the maintenance staff. Mr. Mitropoulos agreed that the AHA should change the lease to protect the maintenance staff.

Ms. Azevedo left the meeting and stated she was going to contact Mr. Pelletier at DHCD regarding this matter.

Ms. Graciella Correa, a tenant of Drake Village, told those present that she found the members of the AHA Maintenace Staff to be most responsible, and she is very proud of all of them. Mr. Hurd concurred.

Verizon – FIOS Proposal
Mr. Greco spoke about the proposed License Agreement between Verizon and the AHA. He feels, as does DHCD, that this a Chapter 30-B issue. He suggested that the AHA sit with Verizon to explain what our concerns and issues are regarding the License Agreement.

Mr. Greco would like to re-structure the License Agreement. He suggested that it should be advertised to provide anyone else who has an interest to bid.

1. Request for Proposal – this will be more time consuming
2. Invitation for bids

Mr. Greco asked about FIOS installation, maintenance overtime – how is this paid? ($18.00/hr per key holder). Mr. Greco wants something in writing that will protect the tenants and the AHA, and benefit the tenants.

He wanted to know the answer for a number of questions, such as: who will be responsible for notices to tenants, cleaning of tenant clothing and apartments from dust that will be made during the installation, who would be the ultimate person(s) responsible, and does Verizon have a general liability insurance or will they be self insured.

Mr. Ferri and Mr. Dancause, answered questions regarding the Verizon License agreement, Mr. Ferri asked if the AHA would like a letter of intent, or will the AHA be going out with a bidder's conference. Mr. Ferri discussed having a meeting with Mr. Greco to make modifications to the agreement. Mr. Greco will contact Verizon to discuss making adjustments on the License agreement.

Mr. Dancause asked if Verizon could have a copy of the Minutes of the Board Meeting on April 25th. Mr. Hurd stated the official minutes require the board vote for release, and they have not been prepared as yet for a vote.

Upon a motion by Mr. Greeley, and seconded by Mr. Mitripolous, it was unanimously:

VOTED: To begin the process for receiving state approval for this project.

670.

Reports of Subcommittee

Mr. Greeley left the Board Room.

A Condominium Purchase Subcommittee Report was received from Mr. Connor and Ms. Walsh.

There was a question regarding whether or not the property was in a flood plain. Mr. Drago recalled that a landlord of another unit had told him that they required flood insurance to obtain their mortgage. He also found that the property was listed on records in the Town Planning Department as being in a flood plain.

Mr. Connor stated that the AHA has not signed anything at this time for the condo.

Upon a motion by Mr. Connor, and seconded by Ms. Walsh, it was unanimously:

VOTED: That the AHA submits a $1,000.00 deposit to purchase a Condominium Unit #123, located at 993 Massachusetts Avenue, Arlington, MA.

Mr. Greeley returned to the Meeting.

Executive Director's Position

Mr. Connor and Ms. Walsh offered a proposed process for the selection of a new Executive Director.

Included in the proposal were a proposed Time Line and Job Criteria. Board Members thanked them for their work, and felt that it provided them with a start in the process.

The document raised several questions, among them were: Is there a need to hire a Search Firm? What are the qualifications and experience would they want the new Executive Director to have? What would the process be like? Who would play what roles in the process?

It was pointed out that the Revere and Framingham Housing Authorities had recently gone through this process and it would be helpful to learn the volume of interest they had for that position. Mr. Hurd was asked to find out more information about these two searches.

Mr. Greco will get the job description from MassNAHRO and find out about references. DHCD has a standard contract and will look into the salary for this position. Mr. Greco suggested that Dr. Leo Dauwer might be a seach consultant they may wish to consider if the Board chooses to pursue that avenue.

Mr. Hurd, Mr. Connor and Mr. Greeley will meet to discuss everything to meet with Mr. Greco for review.

Section 8 Proposed Draft Annual Plan for 2007

Upon a motion by Mr. Greeley, and seconded by Mr. Connor, it was unanimously:

VOTED: That the draft of the proposed AHA Section 8 Annual Plan be made available for public review and comment from May 25, 2007 through 7:00 PM on June 10, 2007, at which time the Board will conduct a Public Hearing and vote on the plan and submit it to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for approval.

671.

Minutes
Upon a motion by Mr. Connor, and seconded by Mitropoulos, it was unanimously:

VOTED: To approve the minutes of the Regular Meeting of March 14, 2007 and the Annual Meeting of April 25, 2007.

Ms. Walsh left the meeting at 9:20 PM.

Unfinished Business
Mr. Connor wanted to thank Mr. Casazza for attending the meeting and staying to the end The Board Members all complemented the members of the Maintenance Staff for their hard work and commitment to the AHA and its tenants.

Adjourn
Upon a motion by Mr. Connor, and seconded by Mr. Mitropoulos, it was unanimously:

VOTED: To adjourn the meeting at 9:30 PM.

____________________________________
Secretary