Meeting Minutes

Meeting of the AHA - February 16, 2005

A meeting of the Arlington Housing Authority was held which was open to the public, and was called to order by Vice Chairman John Griffin on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 at 7:06 PM in the John F. Cusack Room, located at 4 Winslow Street, Arlington, MA. The Roll Call was taken and the following members of the Arlington Housing Authority were present:

Patricia Worden
John Griffin
Freeland K. Abbott
Richard Murray

Nicholas Mitropoulos

Also Present:
Franklin W. Hurd, Jr. Executive Director
Joan Pippin, Section 8 Tenant Representative

The Chairman announced that the filing of the Notice with the Town Clerk has been complied with and directed a copy of this Notice be spread upon the records, a copy of which is as follows:

Notice is hereby given in accordance with Section 23, Chapter 39 of the Massachusetts General Laws, that a meeting of the Arlington Housing Authority will be held on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 at 7:00 PM in the Town Hall, Arlington, MA.

I, Franklin W. Hurd, Jr., the duly appointed Secretary of the Arlington Housing Authority, do hereby certify that on February 3, 2005 was emailed and filed with the Town Clerk of the Town of Arlington a copy of Notice of Meeting, of which the foregoing is a true and correct copy.


Upon a motion by Mr. Murray, and seconded by Mr. Abbott, it was unanimously:

To receive the following communications:

- From: MassNAHRO
Re: 24th Annual Legislative Workshop

- From: Fidelity House
Re: "Celebrating 50 Years of Friendship"

- From: Kevin O'Brien, Arlington Dir. Of Planning
Re: CDBG Year 30 Hearings and Year 31 Proposals

- From: Minuteman Senior Services
Re: Unique Catering Options

Upon a motion by Mr. Murray, and seconded by Dr. Worden, it was unanimously:

VOTED: To appropriate the sum of $500.00 from antenna receipts, to purchase a table at the Fidelity House's "Celebrating 50 Years of Friendship" event, in recognition of the Fidelity House's long time support offered to the children of tenants who reside in Menotomy Manor.

Ms. Marian King, Co-President of the Menotomy Manor Tenants Association (MMTA), addressed the Board. Ms. King thanked Mr. Hurd for providing copies of the budgets and minutes of past meetings that were requested by the MMTA.

Ms King also informed the Board that the MMTA will hold a candidates night for only the candidates running for Housing Authority on either the 4th or 5th of March.

She noted that the state inspector had attempted to inspect apartments when 48-hour advanced notice was in question. Mr. Hurd said that the notices were mailed in time for proper notice; however, it seemed that the post office may have not been timely in their deliveries. The next time, the AHA will insure that notice is sent out well in advance.

Graciella Correa, a tenant of Drake Village, announced that the English as a Second Language (ESL) program and her development was going to start its third year at Drake Village. She asked for assistance in furnishing refreshments to a meeting that will be held shortly. She was asked the contact Mr. Hurd to discuss the matter.

Community Development Block Grants
The Board discussed its submission for CDBG fund. Dr. Worden pointed out that funds provided to the AHA for the acquisition of new units was a better investment by the Town because our properties remain affordable in purpituity as opposed to some grants given that only remain affordable for twenty years.

Upon a motion by Dr. Worden, and seconded by Mr. Abbott, it was unanimously:

To request $225,000.00 which would be matched by the Authority to purchase new inclusionary zoning units.

Upon a motion by Dr. Worden, and seconded by Mr. Abbott, it was unanimously:

To request an amount sufficient to provide new handicap accessible sidewalks on Memorial Way, which will be need in the kitchen and bathroom upgrades of the Menotomy Manor 200-2 development.

Non-Profit Organization Dissolution
Mr. Hurd reported that Attorney James Ferraro has reviewed the status of the old non-profit organization created by the Board. In order to properly dissolve it, there would be a need to hold a meeting, select officers, file any needed reports or returns, and then conduct another meeting to dissolve the organization.

In order to insure that the non-profit meeting was properly held because the directors are made up of AHA Board Members, the next meeting will be publicly posted and held at 6:45 PM on Wednesday, March 23, 2005. Mr. Hurd will see that this notice is publicly posted in accordance with the Open Meeting Law.

April 2, 2005 Local Elections
Mr. Hurd presented the Board with the schedule of Tenant Forums that will be held in each elderly complex. These forums were scheduled and will be hosted by each Local Tenant Organization in order to provide equal access to all candidates for office in each facility.

Bollinger Memorial Scholarship
Upon a motion by Dr. Worden, and seconded by Mr. Murray, it was unanimously:

To support the application of Laura Cyr for the Bollinger Memorial Scholarship and to pay the associated application fee for her entry into that contest.

Upon a motion by Mr. Abbott, and seconded by Dr. Worden, it was voted 4-0-1 (with Mr. Murray abstaining):

To approve the minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of January 25, 2005.

Unfinished Business
Mr. Griffin discussed the Texaco property. The AHA cannot proceed with the taking until the Master Deed has been filed, and thus far, it has not been filed. He expressed his concern that the Redevelopment Board and the Planning Department have been put on notice of the Authority's intention to take the unit by emminent domain, yet they still advertised all units and are still holding a lottery to assign all the units. He thought this was unfair to applicants in the drawing.

Dr. Worden stated that Laura Weiner, Housing Director for the Town, was encouraged to contact the Arlington Redevelopment Board to see if this issue could be negotiated. As yet, the AHA has not been notifiied by anyone concerning negotiations for these units.

Dr. Worden also discussed Smart Growth (Chapter 760 CMR 59). In her opinion, the regulation favors developers, destroys historic districts, and it is not appropriate for a town like Arlington. She noted that the regulation is also ill-defined and reduces the rights of neighbors.

Upon a motion by Dr. Worden, and seconded by Mr. Murray, it was unanimously:

To adjourn the meeting at 9:06 PM.